Sunday, May 23, 2010

Coat hanger top hat

IMG_0392 IMG_0393

 

 

 

 

 

 

       I sat down one evening with a bag full of old coat hangers with the idea to make an earring tree for the wife.  Something just led me astray.  I can’t really explain it.  Sometimes, I just start building to see what I end up with.

IMG_0377 I started by making two circles, one from the largest size hanger, and one from the smallest.  This is not the kind of project for measuring.  Just cut something and see where it fits.  I used a small pair of needle nose vise grips to make loops to attach the ends together.  I just used my hands to form a good enough circle. 

 

IMG_0378

IMG_0381

 

 

 

 

 

 

I took the parts from the hook on the hanger to the turn for the flat for my uprights between the two circles.  I made a loop on each end to attach to the circles.  Next I made rings out of some of the leftovers to hold the uprights like I wanted.  IMG_0380 I did this by wrapping it around a piece of tube.  It is easier if you clamp the wire so you only have the one end to worry about holding.  After wrapping I just unclamp the end and cut them apart with a pair of wire cutters.

 

I wasn’t really sure about it once I really started to put it together.  IMG_0389I couldn’t keep it looking right.  I decided to add some more cross braces and clamp down on the attachment points some more.  I used a cross brace on the top to help support and give a hanging point.  I added four braces in the bottom section to hold the uprights equally apart.  Over all I’m happy with how it came out.  The best thing however is it actually fits my head.

No comments: